You know who you want to work with but how do you really know what they want? In today’s post we will share methods to discover what your customers really want from you.
Defining your ideal client
Before you can discover what your customers really want, you need to know who your customers are in detail. If you’ve never defined a target market then you need to kick your business in the butt.
Learn how to define your ideal client in our best-selling course, Brand Bootcamp. Try the first lesson for free!
Gaining insight on your target market
Once you know who your ideal client is, you need to go one step further to understand their specific wants and needs.
There are many different methods used to gain insight on target markets. Each method should be accompanied by a specific goal. Here are a few methods to research your ideal clients:
Polls and Surveys:
A poll is a helpful and easy method to understand your ideal client. Polls are a quantifiable way to measure the market.
If you have a question to ask, put together a simple poll or survey online or via social media.
For example, if you are a wedding photographer you might create a poll asking brides if wedding albums are important. The results will help you determine if you should include a wedding album in your package.
The best way to understand your ideal client is to ask and listen. Conduct a formal or informal focus group by inviting 3-10 “ideal clients” to coffee.
Spend some time asking them questions and understanding who they are. Here are some topical questions to ask:
- What do you need from this product/service?
- What frustrations do you experience?
- What do you look for in a company?
- Why do you purchase this product/service?
- What price are you willing to pay for product/service?
- What features are most appealing to you?
- Are you happy or unhappy with your current product/service?
Observe & Listen:
To gain qualitative insight into your ideal clients’ life, simply observe and listen. This is a free and easy way to go deeper with your ideal client.
- What topics do they talk about on social media?
- What shows, books or hobbies do they have?
- What interests or music do they listen to?
- What are they pinning on Pinterest?
- What fashion sense or style do they have?
- What do they care about?
- What are their favorite brands?
- Where do they shop?
- What hashtags or conversation topics do they engage in on social media?
- Who do they follow on social media?
This list could go on forever. The central idea is to stop, watch, and listen to the conversations happening around this group of people. If you can understand their desires, values, needs, and interest then you can better serve them in your business.
How to discover what your customers really want
There is not trick answer here. If you want to know what your customers really want from you then you need to get out of your comfort zone and ask, observe, and listen.
Here are three easy, free methods to gaining better insight your customers:
- Online polls and surveys
- In-person focus groups
- External observations